Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Study methods and Frankenstein

149 pages
65 characters per line (including spaces)
45 lines per page

7
38
46
- I shall satiate my ardent curiosity with the sight of a part of the world never before visited, and may tread a land never before imprinted by the foot of man.

11
20
32
- He is so; but then he has passed all his life on board a vessel, and has scarcely an idea beyond the rope and the shroud.

17
21
33
- I felt the greatest eagerness to hear the promised narrative, partly from curiosity, and partly from a strong desire to ameliorate his fate, if it were in my power.
...
27
27
nothing can alter my destiny; listen to my history, and you will perceive how irrevocably it is determined."
...
30
33
This promise drew from me the warmest thanks.

21
13
0
- ruled my destiny, I find it arise, like a mountain river, from ignoble and almost forgotten sources; but, swelling as it proceeded, it became the torrent which, in its course, has swept away all my hopes and joys.

22
17
17
 - But the latter obtained my most undivided attention' wealth was an inferior object; but what glory would attend the discovery, if I could

banish disease from the human frame, and render man invulnerable to any but  violent death!

26
12
0
- protector. My life had hitherto been remarkably secluded and domestic; and this had given me invincible repugnance to new countenances I loved my brothers, Elizabeth, and Clerval, these were old' familiar faces;" but I believed myself totally unifitted for the company of strangers. Such were my reflections as I commenced my journey; but as I proceeded, my spirits and hopes rose. I ardently desired the acquisitions of knowledge. I had often, when at home, thought it hard to remain during my youth cooped up in one place, and had loned to enter the world, and take my station among other human beings. Now my desires were complied with, and it would, indeed, have been folly to repent.
...
33
0
"really spent your time in studying such nonsense?"

29
23
0
- As I applied so closely,
...
27
56
Two years passed in this manner, during which I paid no visit to Geneva, but was engaged, heart and soul, in the pursuit of some discoveries, which I hoped to make. None but those who have experienced them can conceive of the enticements of science. In other studnies you go as far as others have gone before you, and there is nothing more to know; but in a scientific

31
19
40
 - Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow.

32
9
45
- A new species would bless me as its creator and source many happy and excellent natures would owe their being to me. No father could claim the gratitude of his child so completely as I should deserve theirs.

33
19
9
- A human being in perfection ought always to preserve a calm and peaceful mind, and never to allow passion or transitory desire to disturb his tranquility. I do not think that the pursuit of knowledge is an exception to this rule.
...
23
38
and to destroy your taste for those simple pleasures in which no alloy can possibly mix, then that study is certainly unlawful, that is to say, not befitting the human mind.

68
5
0
 - A strange multiplicity of sensations seized me, and I saw, felt, and heard, and smelt, at the same time; and it was, indeed, a long time before I learned to distinguish between the operations of my various senses.
...
13
0
Before, dark and opaque bodies had surrounded me, impervious
...
14
0
touch or sight;

70
15
21-
 perceived a small hut,
...
17
42
structure with great curiosity.
...
18
33
An old man sat in it, near a fire,
...
20
27
shrieked loudly, and, quitting the hut, ran across the fields with a speed of which his debilitated form hardly appeared capable.

71
24
0
- and I remembered too well my treatment the night before, to trust myself in
...
36
52
I beheld a young creature, with a pail on her head, passing

81
7
indent
- "Of what a strange nature is knowledge! It clings to the mind, when it has once siezed on it, like a lichen on the rock. I wished sometimes to shake off all thought and feeling; but I learned that there was not but one means to overcome the sensation of pain, and that was death
...
20
indent
"Other lessons were impressed upon me even more deeply.

83
17
21
- of Mahomet.
...
21
38
accustomed to grand ideas and
...
24
0
society, was enchanting to her.

113
33
13
- During my first experiement, a kind of enthusiastic frenzy had blinded me to the horror of my employment; my mind was intently fixed on the sequel of my labour, and my eyes were shut to the horror of my proceedings. But

132
0
52
 - yet tears were in her eyes as she
...
2
0
saw a change in her also.
...
16
29
Ah! it is well for the unfortunate to be resigned, but for the guiltily there is no peace.

133
2
39
- had blinded me
...
8
41
but hardly deceived the ever watchful and nicer eye of Elizabeth.

148

14
3
 - I am surrounded by mountains of ice, which ... admit of no escape, ... vessel.

149
2
36
 - The cold is excessive, and many of my unfortunate comrades have already found a grave amidst this scene of desolation.
...
19
5
if the vessel should be freed, I would instantly direct my course southward.

2 comments :

  1. I'm still trying to work out what I really want to do with this. I've found side notes in books and what people choose to underline as really interesting. If you underline bits from a novel, are those the most important bits? The most interesting? If you piece them all together do you still get the same novel?

    I wanted to reassemble all of these lines back into their original place, including which line they started on and how many characters into the line they started. I also wanted to include each of the blank pages as well. All of the details are shown in different colors, red for page, blue for line, and green for character space.

    This connects but differs from my cigarette focus in that I'm looking at what people want to remember and are trying to dedicate to memory rather than what people don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These notes just happen to be from a copy of Frankenstein that I'm reading that was luckily annotated by past readers

      Delete