Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Book Update


cover page

pages 2-3

pages 4-5

pages 16-17

pages 18-19

pages 20-21
Currently there are only the 21 pages in this book but I have the largest section left to edit down into the data circles which should at least double the size. Breaking down all the images into pages 3-15 took about 2 hours so when I have a stretch of time over the weekend, the rest of the book will get made. The title page displays all the routes traveled together, as if on a map. Red is the color for now just because it was the easiest to see on the map that I was drawing the route over, it won't stay that color.

I've also been thinking about the next topic for a data book similar to this. Instead of including images, it may just be a data set of the amount of times I've looked clocks during a period of likely one day. I'd include the time it was, where I was, and how the time was conveyed to me, whether it was a clock, a phone,  a computer monitor, or something else.

I got the idea in a particularly boring art history class where it seemed I would check the time every 30 minutes only to see about 2 minutes actually pass. It got me thinking about how we perceive time and distort our memory of it, depending on our surroundings and activities.

1 comment :

  1. With this project I want to highlight how, in our day to day lives, we pass by objects all over the place and maybe notice them but don't retain that knowledge for one reason or another. I chose something very common and very intimate for some people, especially those that smoke. If you do smoke, the chances that you just toss yours cigarette on the ground and forget about it is high but you'll never remember all the places you've done this. I wanted to show how big of an impact on our visual surrounding they actually have by pulling them all out of context and showing them one after another after another.

    By seeing them this way, you're no longer thinking "I passed a few cigarettes on the way here" but rather, "I passed 150 cigarettes on a 70 second walk" and hopefully wondering why you don't retain that knowledge more frequently.

    ReplyDelete